Saturday, May 3, 2008

Roddy Doyle Ha Ha Ha


The Irish author Roddy Doyle is one of my favorites. I was fortunate enough to hear him read from his latest (at the time) novel at NYU ages ago. I was reminded of what I like about his style so much after reading a short story of his called "Bullfighting" in the April 28, 2008 issue of The New Yorker. The story is mainly about the friendship between four men in their late 40s who have known each other forever. There is something endearing and touching to me about men and their friendships...particularly older men. I'm not sure why I feel this way but it might have something to do with exposing some sort of vulnerability which is often taught to be ignored/denied.
I love this story for many reasons. One in particular is that Doyle adds elements throughout to show the relatively recent economic changes in Ireland--which includes travel for the middle class and the switch from emigrating to sharing life with immigrants. Doyle mentions the Polish bartender and his characters traveling to the States, France, Spain. The men have ipods and Blackberrys. The banter he creates with the men is brilliant and funny as well. See link below:

http://www.newyorker.com/fiction/features/2008/04/28/080428fi_fiction_doyle

1 comment:

Jill C & Jul D, said...

I was also at the speaking engagement! Love him as well.